Saturday, June 8, 2013

Whining and New Horizons

The visit to the Chiropractor went well and she did all kinds of adjusting me.  She even adjusted my ribs so I could breath better while running.  I thought that was cool as shit.   She wanted me to do a test run before the 10K.  So I did.   3 miles of hoping that I wouldn't feel any pain.  3 miles of denying that it still hurts.  3 miles of knowing that I won't be running that 10K this weekend.   My dashed hopes were only made worse by the aching I had all over my body from the adjustments and a night of my dog having explosive diarrhea.   Tired and frustrated, I looked anywhere I could for encouragement.   Again, I turned to the goddess that is Meredith Atwood of SwimBikeMom.com.   I read her blog because she is human and funny and has been down this road too.  I know my injury is nothing compared to what it could be, but I need to make a plan. A plan to keep this body moving and getting stronger until my foot is better.  So while digging through Meredith's blog, I find her poster section.  Little gems of encouragement and wisdom. 



I chose this one, because with the injury, I have to look at starting something new.  Like swimming.  Like biking.  Like getting into a bathing suit.  Doing new shit that involves this fat girl going into a new fitness establishment scares the crap out of me.  I have to build the courage for several days.  I know it's stupid really. But, I have to remember that this is the new adventurous me.  I HAVE to do this.  So I went to the local pool and fitness center.   I walked in like I had been there a million times, paid the man, and quickly looked like a dork because I couldn't get the spin bike seat to adjust. 
 
Swimming kicked my ass.  I have been running for 4.5 months and strength training along side it.  But swimming uses EVERYTHING.  I was out of breath and weak after one "fast" freestyle stroke down the lane.   But you know what?  I kinda loved it.  So I kept on for 45 more minutes.  Note to self:  cutsy bathing suites are not meant for lap swimming.  Must get a swimsuit that will keep my boobs in.  No one wants to see that, really.

Running is amazing, but how much more amazing would it be to run, swim and bike?! 

Dare I say that a triathlon is in my future?  Possibly.  Probably.  Why the hell not?  

Who knew that a messed up plantar fascia could lead me to an even bigger badass dream?





 


No comments:

Post a Comment