Sunday, July 7, 2013

Finding Nemo

My first memories of swimming were in the municipal pools in Irving, Texas.  I remember my grandma teaching me how to dive into the water.   I don't think I ever had swim lessons, for we were too poor for that.   So my knowledge of swimming consisted of doing cannon balls, singing under water, and trying to hold my breath from one end of the pool to the other.  

Swimming
So as I mentioned earlier in the blog, swimming kicked my ass. I have now been going for a month and it's still kicking my ass, only a little less.  With no formal training in proper swimming technique, I have my work cut out for me.  I have spent Friday nights glued to YouTube videos on Freestyle swimming techniques.  I go to the pool the next day and practice those.   I swim the length of the pool, proud that I am doing better, but still out of breath and panting.   I envy the other swimmers that can swim a length, do the fancy underwater turn, and swim another length and do the fancy turn...repeat 30 times.

I swim, pant, swim, pant.  

But lately I have gotten to swim, swim, pant.  And my form is getting better.  And my legs, back, arms, and stomach are all stronger.  And I've lost more weight.  All of which is forward movement!  

Me at the pool.

My goal is to do a Sprint Triathlon next spring.  This usually consist of a 1/2 mile swim.  I have done the calculations and for the pool you see behind me in the picture, I have to swim back and forth 32 times to reach that distance.  32 TIMES.   I got some work to do, but I'm excited for the challenge.

My new swimming Goddess = Karlyn Pipes-Neilson.  I wish to, one day, swim like her.  I'm pretty sure she's actually a fish in human clothing.

Here's the links to her videos that I have found very helpful:

Technique 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQpF_mmg44

Technique 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgZX2oD9CY

Technique 3:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZO738a8WQw

Technique 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMFxYDPkqs

Technique 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUWAZo-03u0


Bathing Suit
I will make it know that I finally don't feel terribly self conscious in a bathing suit.  I just swam laps or aqua jogged (I'll post later on this) for an hour. And anyone that was in the pool with me would know that I am working on losing these rolls under the suit.

Pool House Nudity
Ok, so swimming has it's hazards.  Chlorine hair, water in your ears, etc.  But the one I find most alarming is public nudity in the gym locker room.  Though I may be comfortable in my bathing suit, you will NEVER see me naked in the locker room.  I grew up WAY to modest for such things.  Other people's nudity doesn't really bother me, but having to pretend that everything is cool and that I am ok with their NAKEDNESS, while holding a conversation with them is something that I haven't gotten used to yet.   I think it may be less awkward for everyone if I was naked too, but that's not gonna happen. 








No comments:

Post a Comment